Tip 6: Kids learn a lot more when they are working hard than when you are working hard

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. You can also lead a student to knowledge, but you can’t make him think. So your goal isn’t really to “teach”, it’s to get the student to learn.

I’m sure none of you have this problem, right? Sometimes I discover that I talk too much. Can you believe it? Both in a classroom, and with my son, it was easy to sometimes get up on a platform and give a lecture. I had lots of knowledge to offer my students, and I usually enjoyed offering it. And sometimes that’s OK. But often, I was doing more for myself than for my students. Often, they lost attention, and became unengaged. I was not only wasting time, I was helping to convince some students that education is boring.

The ultimate goal for any student is to become a self-directed learner. All those people at the top of the education world are self-directed learners. They are at the top, so there are not many who can show them the way forward. They need to move forward on their own. That’s true in business, as well. If you are at the top of your field, you are leading, not following, and that’s self-direction. So, instead of answering your student’s question, suggest where he might research the answer on his own. Instead of showing her how to solve a problem, point out a portion of her solution that she might want to think about.

One thought on “Tip 6: Kids learn a lot more when they are working hard than when you are working hard

1. I am going to share this one on my FB page. I enjoyed reading it.

Let me know if you’d like to write an article similar to this to share on my blog.

Rebecca Miller
    The Sandwiched Homeschooler